Inspiration #35: Serge Gay, Jr.
Tuesday, June 11th, 2019
Serge Gay Jr. is a Grammy nominated Creative Director and Art Director. As a Painter, Illustrator, Graphic Designer, his influences and the story in his work can often be found from the culture sociology of his background and also, his race. In this Inspiration interview you’ll learn about Serge’s background, his path into fine art, his work process and more.
Highlights from the interview:
• Growing up, art was how Serge communicated with friends because English was not his first language.
• His work is about what he sees in the world and sharing it like a language.
• Serge works in a series, or bodies of work. Once completed, he completely moves on.
• Growing up a teacher instructed him to create work and then destroy it. This now allows him to let go and detach from his work.
• What drives his work is curiosity and storytelling.
Be certain to check out Serge’s website, by clicking here. You can also follow him on Instagram at @sergegayjr. Also be sure to check out his most recent body of work from his recent solo show “Valid”, which you can see below.
LISTEN TO THE AUDIO
DOWNLOAD THE TRANSCRIPT
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Is storytelling an element of your work?